Romans 5:7-9

For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Calling All Dispensationalists, of Whatever Stripe or Shade

I am in the process of composing an essay on the differing hermeneutical assumptions of the Dispensational and Covenantal systems of theology, and their consequences on bible interpretation. In this process I have already consulted several sources on both sides of the issue. Of course I am writing from the side of Covenantal Theology, and in the progress of the essay I will argue that position. Even though I grew up in and was somewhat nurtured into Dispensational Theology, I still would like those who still hold that view to aid in my choices of sources for representation of that position, and its historical survey.

For instance, from the Brethren camp I have read and/or cited J.N. Darby, C.H. Mackintosh, and T.B. Baines. From the Fundamentalist Baptist camp, C.I. Scofield, L.S. Chafer, J. D. Pentecost, John Walvoord, and the more contemporary, Charles Ryrie. From the more progressive camp (and perhaps Calvinistic Dispensationalists) Michael Vlach, John MacArthur, Barry Horner, and Dennis Swanson.

I am making a call now to any dispensationalist reading this blog, to help me to quote the best sources in the areas of: scholastic/academic Dispensationalism, and surveys of that theology's occurrence in history made by trustworthy Dispensational sources.

6 comments:

Kerry Lewis said...

I'm somewhat out of touch with current Dispensationalist theology, manifest in the fact that I didn't know three of the last four names you mentioned. But in an attempt to help, wouldn't Craig Blaising and Darrell Bock be important to check out? And on a more popular level, I would think of Norman Geisler, especially considering his interactions with Hank Hannegraaf. The Dispensationalists I interact with aren't generally familiar with actual Dispensationalist scholars, but they are familiar with Geisler. Then there's those Dispensationalists who are especially focused on the Israel aspect of their theology, which brings Renald Showers to mind. I grew up Plymouth Brethren, but the name T. B. Baines is new to me. Then again, you were asking for help from Dispensationalists, and being out of touch as I said, you might get better direction from some of them...

Jason Payton said...

Thanks Kerry,

I forgot to mention Blaising and Bock, but they really are the front-runners of PD.

Geisler, I know has interacted with Hannagraaf, and no offense to anyone reading, but I don't think his apologetic methods are terribly high on the integrity level.

I forgot that you were from the Ply Bret. background. My dad isn't, but since he has really started studying, he has become very interested in Darby, Mackintoch and Baines. Maybe I'm mistaken and Baines isn't brethren but I thought so because my interaction with my dad...I'll have to do a bit more research.

Unknown said...

I see you are writing an essay on the different ways these two camps try to understand and interpret the words God has left us.This will be interesting to follow since both camps trust that the truth is found in scripture,and live their lives and hopes out in the system they trust.

I would have to say that I am a dispensationalist in that I agree with those of that tag as to the Way God is governing the ages and progressivly revealing His plan for the ages and ultimate trumph over sin and its adherants.

What would you ask of a simple non scholar..who hopes for a period of time when he will rule on a subdued earth with the saints of the ages past? or will you only engage scholars?

jason payton said...

HI John,

Thanks for your comment, and the answer is Yes, I engage "non-scholars". I'm not sure I can consider myself a scholar regarding this topic. Unless of course, we consider anyone who is trying to know what he believes and why (according to scripture) he believes it.

My essay is actually going to begin with editing several former series on this blog in which I had posted articles concerning hermeneutics. You can look at the lists of categories I have created on the right hand side of my blog, under "Theology: Hermeneutics".

The purpose of this post is to gather more information about historical and or popular Dispensationalism so I can compile a more complete profile of "Contemporary Dispensationalism".

Thanks again for your comment, and I welcome any information you have about your dispensational beliefs and where you got them (sources).

Feel free to engage the articles in the other categories with comments.

Anonymous said...

http://drreluctant.wordpress.com/

"Dr Reluctant" Paul Martin Henebury
might be helpful.

Jason Payton said...

Thanks Anon,

I'll check it out.