Romans 5:7-9

For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Eight Revealing Questions: Intro: Installment #2

Revealing Questions Concerning the Will of God Over His Creation:
Installment number two

  1. Does God know our future choices?
  2. Were our choices really free?
  3. Can I be forced to choose something I do not want?
  4. Why do we choose what we choose; what factors determine or cause our choices?
  5. Could we actually have chosen differently; can I choose against the decree of God?
  6. Was my choice determined?

Above are some questions I have asked myself as I consider the depths of the topic of compatibilism. There are eight questions in six different venues, if you will. But I should begin with a brief definition of the term compatiblism. Consider this definition from J. W. Hendryx, author of "Just Because Eleven (11) Reasons to Reject Libertarian Free Will."

"Compatibilism is the belief that we make choices for a reason, that the will is not independent of the person and we will always choose what we want (Deut 30:16, 17, 19; Matt 17:12; James 1:14). It means that we can act freely (without coercion), not independent from God or free from our desires, but free to act according to our desires and nature. In other words, a self-determining will (to choose to act as we please) is compatible with determinism."

The first biblical passage I personally like to point out regarding this topic is Genesis 50:18-20.

18 His brothers also came and fell down before him and said, "Behold, we are your servants." 19 But Joseph said to them, "Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? 20 As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

In my subsequent posts on this particular topic, I intend to submit answers to these questions. Ultimately, these questions are an attempt to require persons to seriously consider the way they think about God’s omniscience, the nature of the choices we make, and God's ability to do as He pleases. Feel free to comment with your own answers to these questions.

No comments: